Friday, December 21, 2007

In Your Honor

Before you play this video, be aware that it contains graphic images from Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ. As you watch, you will definitely notice the music in the background - which is one of my new favorite songs by the Foo Fighters, called In Your Honor. I'm not sure if it's the right music for the piece, but I thought it was interesting.. oh yeah, and I wanted to see if I could get YouTube videos to work in my blog!



This video takes me back to my Alabama days when my mom informed me that Jim Caviezel was in town preparing to take on the role of Christ. At the time I didn't know who he was and when I heard the movie was going to be in foriegn languages I figured only a handful of devout Catholics would watch it.

Six months later my evangelical friends were raving about the previews and I knew I missed the boat!

On the other hand, it seemed that evangelicals flocked to this movie more than Catholics, despite the fact that Pope John Paul II gave it his thumbs up. I think this is because evangelicals lack much artistry in their worship. Catholic churches (at least prior to Vatican II) were filled with the most beautiful art, making the story of salvation quite vivid - just look at a crucifix!

Catholic art isn't around to be idolotrous but to be human! We need to worship not only spiritually but also physically. Art, therefore, keeps us real, not to mention puts us in the mood to worship God! Evangelicals, and the many other believers who saw the movie, were hyped to worship God as they came out of the theater - which is exactly what Christian art is supposed to do.

And if your in the mood to be with God right now (and being since it's Friday), pop in The Passion of the Christ and use it as you're praying the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary!

No comments: